If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.
- Albert Einstein

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

these days


I'm most likely to be found on the couch,
With Dostoevsky's Notes from the Underground,
Melville's Billy Budd,
or some combination of Whitman/Wordsworth/Thoreau,
scribbling furiously in a notebook,
trying to obtain some knowledge of how these men saw the world.



And while I love the reading,
and I love the thinking,
I wish it didn't involve such a daunting number of papers. 

But here's my thought-
when I talked to a professor after class 
about Renaissance lit and it's connection to our Trinitarian theology,
he said, "Wow, you guys are exposed to so much!"
And I know that if I wasn't permitted these novels and great works,
if I was told I wouldn't be able to glean anything from them
or if they weren't available to me in my language or because of some other reason,
I would be thrilled to get my hands on them. 

It's true that there's a lot on my plate,
and I'm not trying to minimize my stress..it's been a tough few weeks.
But it's also true that this is worthwhile,
and other people don't get these opportunities. 



On a lighter note, 
now that I've conquered the illusive half-up half down messy braid,
these hairstyles are on my list.
My hair to-do list. 
They're cool, and anything that inspires me to do more 
than just throwing my hair up on top of my head 
[see above pictures of my stunning hair today]
is probably a good thing. 


Love!

3 comments:

  1. oooo pretty hairdos. wish i had more motivation to learn how to do something other than a pony tail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, i am so impressed that you are reading dostoevsky! i made it through maybe 1% of brothers karamazov before senior year of high school and never looked back. way to go, miss smarty smartgirl!

    and those are such pretty hairstyles, indeed! that blond is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be an English major? I was too! I always had at least five novels going at once, and I LOVED it!

    Thank you for commenting on my blog; looking forward to exploring yours some more!

    xo,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

hey guys...i seriously love your comments.

so.... go ahead. leave some!