If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.
- Albert Einstein

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Lentastic!

Talking to Greg, we decided that while neither of us feels obligated by Scripture to observe Lent, it's probably a great idea. To give something up...
to fast, for the season leading up to Passover, Easter.
To focus. 
For me, one of my big "escapes" is tv. And I feel very entitled to it. 
[Ex: "Oh, but I just went to school for like...four hoursssss. I deserve to hole up in my bed and watch 6 hours of TV!]
TV isn't a problem for everyone, but I think it was becoming a problem for me. 

And, while it's difficult to avoid TV in a house with a gigantic flat screen and an amazing amount way too many episodes of Say Yes to the Dress on it's DVR, it's been really nice so far. 

I think I rediscovered reading for pleasure!

And, because one of the Borders near me is closing, I got lots of cheap books to help me out. 

The Reading List:
The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
Slaughterhouse Five by Vonnegut (my favorite)
Foxfire by Joyce Carol Oates (current read)



"Say there's a mirror you have trusted to give you a solid unblemished surface reflecting the world then suddenly it breaks and shatters revealing a thousand new surfaces, miniature angles of seeing that must have been there all along hidden in the mirror's bland face but you hadn't known.
Who is, Who was."
-Foxfire

I've felt that. 

"The old has gone, the new is here!"
1 Corinthians 5:17


xoxo

6 comments:

  1. the borders near school is closing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so amazing how much free time you have once the tv/computer is turned off! I totally have to force myself to, but there are so many good books out there:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. husband and i decided that by moving to england and giving up sun, good food, and a car that god would forgive us for not giving up anything else.

    sinners.

    jk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @chaucee, i'm not sure about the one near school, but the one near where I work in Jersey is. Sad, sad day. Greg and I will have to come up with another UBER romantic date locale.


    @Megan, yeah right! I read your blog- you have OSTRICH BURGERS there. i have yet to see that exotic fare on these shores. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i feel the same way about the TV! and it is incredible how much time you have and how productive i am when i turn it off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've felt convicted about my tv and computer time lately. I'm glad I read this...because I was ignoring it. I love to read to...it's just easier to watch tv. :)

    PS: I love the pic of you reading. It made me smile!

    ReplyDelete

hey guys...i seriously love your comments.

so.... go ahead. leave some!