If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.
- Albert Einstein

Friday, March 25, 2011

lately.

I've been thinking.
Where does big-picture love meet little-picture love?

Big-picture love: 
passion and care for issues like poverty, sex trafficking, global missions and the people involved in them. 

Little-picture love:
Mentoring, discipleship, being a good friend and family member, caring for my relationship with God, etc. 

When you're in it...
Photo Credit: Franki Whalen

watching beautiful kids go back to their homes made of cardboard and scraps of metal,
seeing just how many of those tiny houses there are...




your heart swells, full of compassion and pain. 

But when you're far away...

Photo Credit for this and following: Saritha Petthongpoon







it's so easy to become complacent and numb. 

Over Spring Break I went to an exhibit of sorts at church called Project Experience.


I was moved, then angered.
How am I so easily moved, then so easily forget?
Feel so entitled to my healthy, happy, loved life. 

I'm discovering that it takes real work to remain compassionate in such a blessed lifestyle. 
I want to commit to that work. 
To keep my big-picture love alive while I work through little picture love here in Philadelphia. 

The black and white pictures are from a friend's trip to Haiti this Spring Break. 
The pictures above are my friend Franki's from our trip to Guatemala. 
There are places like this everywhere,
within the US and outside of it. 

I can't always be going, 
but I can be praying,
I can be giving,
I can be mindful.
At very least,
 I can be grateful for what we've been blessed for. 

And that is..a lot. 

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. This is so, so, so true! We can be doing something all the time. I feel that struggle too, of being so passionate and then forgetting. Doing something daily, like not buying new clothes, helps me to stay focused on the eternal...but it is always a struggle! Thanks for sharing girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, everything you have shared here is exactly what I have been wrestling with as of late. I really needed to read this post!

    ReplyDelete

hey guys...i seriously love your comments.

so.... go ahead. leave some!