If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.
- Albert Einstein

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Just Because

In one of my classes this week, a professor casually said something that demonstrates an attitude very rarely displayed.
It totally changed the direction of our class discussion and made me think more deeply about the motives tacit behind my actions.
It so effected our class that a girl sitting next to me promptly changed her facebook status to the quote.

Ready?




Just because you feel something, doesn't mean you need to act on it. 




On the surface, this seems  so basic.
It's something that instructs us to tell children that even if they want their friend's toy, they shouldn't take it. 
That even if you wonder what it would be like to jump into a giant snow bank, and really want to,  you shouldn't. {You'll end up very wet in class.


But for us, in our culture, we give a lot of credence to our emotions. 
When we are hurt, we act on that. 
We gossip, we slander, we make those comments others judge "funny," even when we know they'll cause pain. 
When we feel love, we act on that. 

But what happens when that "lovin feeling" disappears? 
What happens when things or people leave us with a certain taste of apathy lingering? 
What then do we act on?


I personally want to act on the basis of Christ's love for me. I always have a reason to love others, based on that gift. When I have feelings of jealousy, anger, bitterness, or fear, I want to decide not to act on those. 
So many of my choices are made on autopilot. 
I want to really choose. 


Anyways, here are some things I really like: 








xoxo!


2 comments:

  1. beautiful quote and gorgeous painting. i'm moving to madras in may!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think the next time i come to visit we should make our own paintings like this!! miss you!!

    ReplyDelete

hey guys...i seriously love your comments.

so.... go ahead. leave some!